Wednesday, August 20, 2008

Surf City? Maybe?

About three weeks ago I flew into a rage, frustrated by what I thought to be a lack of progress in physical therapy. I've been enduring ASTYM since May and could still barely run a mile without IT band issues. I blew up at my mom, then at PT, then at my knee doc. After that dismal attempt at running Tiger a month ago I've been pretty doubtful about the whole plan.

I took a few weeks off to think about my doctor's option of having more aggressive blood injection therapy done. I then talked with PT and they assured me that my range of motion was improving, things were feeling better, and everything was healing. I decided to give them a few more weeks. Well, guess what? All of a sudden some magic happened or something.

Starting about two weeks ago, I suddenly ran over a mile with NO problem. Two days later I did it again. And again. Over the weekend I just nailed a 2-mi run, first time in years. And I did it again on Tuesday, but at a bit speedier pace. So for just over 2 weeks, I've been consistently running 1.5 to 2 miles every other day and doing it pain free! Well, aside from the stupid patellar tendinitis in my left knee that is going crazy right now, but that's mostly tolerable.

I had completely ruled out the possibility of running Boston next year and figured my first opportunity wouldn't be until 2010. But, it's 35 weeks to Boston. And it's 24 weeks to the Surf City Marathon in Huntington Beach that I would consider for a qualifier. If this recent running success continues, it's not completely unrealistic that I could train up in time. Right now I have about 10% confidence in this plan, but hey, we'll just see what happens. No way I'm rushing things after this injury, but if I'm indeed healing, I may just have a shot.

Joe is changing up my gym workout to get me in Boston shape. I see lots of upcoming months of brutal workouts, killer leg days, and lots of speed and endurance work. At least it won't be boring!

No comments: