Saturday, October 25, 2008

Happy Birthday IT band.

This morning I joined the CycleU Triathlon team for a running clinic at Greenlake and learned a ton from Toby Swanson. Thanks Toby! One thing I realized is that I never had a clue what the hell I was doing when I ran races years ago. I didn't train, I just went out and ran fast a few times a week and that's likely what did me in with the IT band.

We did some pacing drills around the Greenlake track and surprise, surprise, I WAY out ran myself. I was supposed to do a 2:10 400m lap. 2:10? I used to run the 400 in high school in 1:05. I fought with myself the whole lap to slow down and clocked 1:45. Why can't I just slow down sometimes? Being aware of "goal pace" is really something I need to work on.

Today was the perfect day to have a "track day" since I consider it the 3rd anniversary of IT band hell. Hard to believe, but 3 years ago today marked the end of my running career at the Pumpkin Push 5k race at Seward Park. About a week prior I developed horrible knee pain and couldn't run, let alone walk down stairs. I took a week off, then lined up for the start of the 5k thinking it surely had to be healed. Wrong! I remember hobbling the entire course, running on one leg down the steep hill, and gimping across the finish line. After that, I made several lame attempts at running to salvage my Seattle Half that year, but alas, I finally gave in.

About a month or so ago marked my return to running and today just reinforced what I already know: I need to keep a careful eye on myself and exercise some serious discipline. I love running, but I'm already increasing mileage too quickly and I need to back down and take it easy. That said, I know Boston was a long shot for next year anyway, but I'm officially killing it. I'd much rather postpone a year to get myself injury free than risk another 3 years of IT band hell.

Now I'm thinking of turning that Surf City Boston Marathon Qualifier into a half-marathon instead. I think I can be ready for that by February. So anyway, happy birthday IT band. Now it's time to mountain bike...

No comments: