Sunday, April 05, 2009

Put a fork in me...

I know it's a shocker, but I might have over-rallied this weekend. Like I could say no to this kick-ass weather!

I spent a beautiful day Saturday sailing on the Sound in the Blakely Rock Benefit Regatta. The race took us more than twice as long as expected due to poor wind conditions. We lined up for the start in good position ready to crush the field. Then...no wind. We sat there for quite a while at a smoking speed of zero. Rest assured, we did finally get moving: backwards. About an hour after the start we made it back to the start buoy and eventually passed it. Progress!!

The sail out to Blakely Rock was pretty slow but after the turnaround we found some wind and got moving. We rounded the final buoy for the finish and surprise! Stalled out again with no wind. The final stretch of the race became a very intense 1 knot duel with two other boats. I'm proud to say we fought hard to finish second...to last. With a 7-hr sail time, the committee boat rudely gave up on us and headed back to dock while we were finishing.

What an awesome day with great people. Thanks to Kirk for the invite!

I started this morning with a kickin' run at the Arboretum, followed it up with a few hours of mountain biking at Philip Arnold, and capped that off with a 40-mi road ride around the north end of the lake. I don't think I'll do that sort of triathlon again. 10 miles from home on the road bike, very essential and necessary muscles started seizing and cramping. First my quads, then my calves, then my hip flexors. I'm sure my legs are atrophied and getting off the couch will result in a face plant.

At least I survived the weekend with no major injuries, though I did manage to sideswipe a tree on Tapeworm in a spectacular fashion. Didn't really know you could get "tree rash". I really need to quit hugging trees.

No comments: