Wednesday, September 24, 2008

Visiting with dad. The chaos Part 1.

I had one of those weekends where nothing went to plan, but it was still a blast anyway! My dad flew in from LA and we had a few days to hang out and visit. The plan for Saturday was to pick him up from the airport at noon and head straight to Marymoor for my race at Starcrossed at 2:15. First hiccup of the day: I woke up late and then had an hour to get my cross bike in working order.

Considering I hadn't even looked at it since the USGP last year, it was in sad shape. Flat tires, old tubes, no seat, no brakes, and a very dry chain. Somehow I managed to almost get it back into shape, but my rear brakes were so out of adjustment that I just put the old ones back on. Who needs rear brakes anyway? As long as I had new front ones, I figured I'd be ok.

Second hiccup of the day: Dad's flight became an hour delayed. We left Seatac around 1 with me still holding out hope I could make the race until I hit the interstate and found that every freakin' road heading north was a parking lot. Why can't people deal with rain here? I really don't get it.

Still stuck in traffic at 1:30, I realized I'd never make it, so I bailed on Starcrossed. I hadn't ridden my cross bike since last December, so it may not have been an entirely bad idea. I was stoked to race for the first time in a while though, so I can't say I wasn't a little bummed.

Dad and I instead headed downtown, where we did some shopping at North Face and took in the Seattle Underground Tour. Not a bad tour, but not as good as I had hoped. After a few hours of sightseeing we headed across the bridge so I could cheer on some teammates at Starcrossed. Talk about epic cross conditions! Mud, rain, woo! It looked fun out there!

No comments: