Friday, July 07, 2006

I won my first race!

Yup, that's right! After having a few 2nd place finishes I finally pulled out a win last night -- woo! I have to say, I raced the best race I've ever done so far. It felt great! My legs were strong the entire time, I went with all of the attacks, got myself into great position, and finally timed the final sprint perfectly.

About 10 girls turned out last night, most in the beginner group. We started pretty easy but then some attacks started. Of course, no one would get too far since Gina and Cheryl were there to tow everyone else up to the breakaway. I took my turn pulling up front but this time took much shorter pulls and spent most of my time in the pack. On the prime lap I waited for the sprint but got a tad over-eager and pulled out into the wind too soon. When the key riders made their move I started to go but just didn't have the position so I sat up and decided to conserve my energy.

I then launched a small attack after the prime and one girl went with me but again, Gina and Cheryl towed everyone up to us. On the last lap an attack was launched off the first corner and onto the back straightaway (pretty typical) and I made sure that I stuck with it. Every week I always get popped off the back coming into the last turn to the finish and for once I stuck right with the pack. I knew the riders to go with for the sprint and I was patient and waited for everything to unfold. Then once they took off I hammered and ended up passing everyone who went early and was surprised at my sprinting ability! I've never sprinted like that in my life! Boy was that exciting!

Now everyone is curious where I'm training....haha. A few of the ladies I've been racing with all season said, "Wow! Where'd you come from?" I think the Headquarters training is really paying off! Now the real test is the upcoming weekend races. I'm definitely doing the Ravensdale RR on Sunday and I'm considering Redmond Derby Days on Saturday. Let's see if I can do back-to-back days...

No comments: