Monday, August 28, 2006

4th at Seward!

The season ending Seward Park Fall Classic crit was Sunday and I ended up with my best finish of the season: 4th! The Women's Cat 4 field was small with about 12 riders, which was a bit surprising to me. I fully expected a larger turnout for this race.

Since most of us had done the hill climb on Saturday I figured we were all on equal ground and probably not quite 100% recovered. We had a great race and there was only one girl that was a bit of a danger. She was very sketchy, couldn't hold a straight line, and kept overlapping wheels. I told myself I'd try to stay up front away from her and I actually managed to do so for most of the race. Vicki from Ti-Cycles got the first prime and another Ti-Cycles gal got the 2nd. One of these days I'll really start trying to go for those.

On the final lap Vicki and two other women from Ti-Cycles broke off the front and I made sure to stick right with them. We launched pretty hard up the final climb and as we started powering to the finish I was expecting someone to catch me from behind but no one was there! I came across in 4th place and surprised the hell out of myself. SAWEET! My best finish of the year! It was even better since Marcus finally came out to watch. Now I'll have to make sure he's there more often.

I'm gearing up to head to Eugene this weekend for the Eugene Celebration Days Stage Race, which will be my last road race of the year. The weekend after is Escape from the Rock and then I think some downtime is in order. Ahhh, what a fun season of racing!

No comments: