Monday, August 14, 2006

Can the season be almost over?

I raced the last Thursday night Women's race at PR last week and my legs were absolutely FRIED from the previous day's gym workout. Man was that a painful race! I went for the prime but came in 2nd and went for the win but came in 2nd. Oh well, considering how traumatized my legs were, I was quite happy! I sealed the deal on winning the beginner's series and ended up with some nice swag, including four free entries for next year's racing. Saweet!

The last LWV circuit race was on Saturday and Zoka had a great showing. Jason Williams nabbed 2nd in the 3s and Ian Mulholland got the win in the 4s. GO ZOKA!!!

For the second straight week I nearly got a top-10 finish. This race was F-A-S-T! My computer showed an average of 22mph. We had a field of about 25 women and by the end there were about 14-15 of us still together. Flats aren't really my forte but I hung in there just fine. Somewhere around the 3rd lap of 6 my legs were hurting bad but I managed to stay in there and things got better. I've learned that there's usually a hump somewhere in the race and if you can get over it you always feel better. There was a strong headwind on half of the course so I just kept looking forward to the tailwind section.

Ti-Cycles had 6 riders out there and did a great job controlling the race. Vicki Reinholz from Ti-Cycles captured her 3rd win and won the series overall. She even got interseries sprint points in all the races -- absolutely amazing! Ti-Cycles had a great showing with 5 riders in the top 10.

On the last lap of the race I had a good position on the backstretch but just didn't grab the right wheel coming around the last corner and couldn't match everyone else's acceleration. I rolled across the line with Jill Talcott from Starbucks in around 13th place I think. I can certainly live with that!

I'm ecstatic to be finally hanging with the pack! Unfortunately now that I seem to have hatched some racing legs the season is just about over. There's a 10-mi TT this weekend, and the State Hillclimb and final Seward Park Crit the following weekend. I'm debating heading to Eugene in September for the stage race there but we'll see what happens.

No comments: