Thursday, April 12, 2007

Frieked out muscles

The worst part so far about Tuesday night's crash is how strained all of my muscles are. My neck was getting so tight and sore yesterday that I went to the UW Medical Center to get it checked out. That was a fun experience. Turns out I ended up fracturing one of my ribs, which is weird because it doesn't really hurt unless someone pokes it. I guess there's not much you can do about a fractured rib since, as the doctor said, wrapping it up would render you unable to breathe.

I walked out of there with a ridulous drug cocktail. I'm supposed to take a muscle relaxant, vicodin, and prescription Ibuprofen together 3x / day for 5 days. Then the doctor said not to take them when I need to focus since they might make me drowsy. Oh really? I asked her, "Gee...I suppose I shouldn't take this if I'm doing something like...bike racing?"

I don't really understand the prescriptions. I told them three times I wasn't in "pain" and that it was more like a general mack-truck feeling and everything was just incredibly sore and tight. I suppose the muscle relaxant might be nice since every muscle in my body hurts, but I'm happy going to see Laurel at Avalon tomorrow and letting her work her massage magic. I doubt I'll fill any of these. Need any drugs?

I was able to lightly spin on the trainer last night, so I'm going to try to hop out on a small ride this evening and see how it goes. I haven't ruled out TST yet. If I can get my neck to settle down a bit I think I'll be fine. Gina forwarded me an email from the guy we took out in our crash and unfortunately it sounds like he didn't get much of a shot. I guess he had just adjusted the camera to shoot sideways. He said he fully expected to be involved in a crash at some point but didn't think it would be the women who would take him out. What can I say? I guess we're hardcore out there...

No comments: