Monday, April 16, 2007

The TST bust

For the second year in a row I started TST and for the second year in a row I unfortunately didn't finish. But hey...I made it further this year and stuck with the pack a smidge longer. Given I was still sore from Tuesday's crash all signs pointed to taking Saturday off, but i'm the reigning queen of bad ideas. When I lined up for the start I realized that not only was I still a little sore but mentally, I was just not into this race, which is unusual for me. As expected the pace up the first climb was pretty quick and I got dropped just a few miles in. Oh well. I guess I should have slowed a tad to work with the gals behind me but decided to motor up the climb and see who was left up ahead. I could already see riders strung out everywhere.

I started working with a gal from TGH but unfortunately we took a wrong turn, realized it quickly, and turned back to the road. She took off pretty fast and left me in the dust before I could get turned around and going again. I wasn't quite sure why...I figured it would be better to try to organize a few women left together than ride solo, but oh well. I could see her just ahead for miles and I would make up ground on every hill but then lose it on the descents and flats. My back was sore and my neck was bothering me so I turned around at mile 16 and called it a day. Had I felt better I certainly would have finished, especially since the weather was gorgeous. Oh well, TST is definitely on my list of races for next year. Third time is a charm right?

My carpool buddy pulled out of the race due to a sore knee and had turned around just before I did. Funny how I didn't pay attention when I saw someone in a Ti-Cycles jersey waving at me. I guess it was a bad day for both of us.

I wasn't too bummed about TST but I was seriously bummed that I decided not to do the Seward crit on Sunday. I love the Seward course and did well there last year (4th in the fall crit) but decided I really needed to take the weekend to heal up and rest for Walla Walla. Marcus and I had a rare "work on the house" day and then headed out for a ride around Mercer Island later. I felt great and I think I'm just about healed up so this week should be a normal training week. Yay!

No comments: