Tuesday, June 19, 2007

Back to my roots?

I was just thinking last week about how much I miss running and got teary-eyed. I'm such a sap. Cycling was supposed to be something temporary to keep me from going mad since the IT saga halted my running two years ago. Since then, I've run maybe 2 miles. I can't believe I've become so cycling-consumed. Just recently I've been thinking about running and realizing how much I miss it. And...I still haven't done the friekin' Boston Marathon.

I talked to my physical therapist and kicked off the whole 30/30 routine yesterday. So, for 30 days, I do a 30-min running program that consists of 10-mins walking, 15-mins jogging, and then 5-mins walking. Ugh....so boring but I know it's the safest way for me to get back to running and not reaggravate my injury.

I'd love to train for the Seattle Half in November and then try to qualify for Boston with the Pacific Shoreline Marathon in February. So the big question is where that leaves me with cycling? I have to say that this year has been a little disappointing in that I really thought I had improved my fitness enough to be in contention for some top 10s and podium finishes. It's pretty clear I haven't quite done that. Despite my frustration, I'm still having a ton of fun but I think I just might have set my goals a little too high.

I guess I'm just trying to figure out if I should continue to really hammer with road cycling for the next few months or if I should just call it a season and realize that I need to really train up more this fall for next year. I'm not sure how to fit in road cycling, running, and cyclocross without having a serious burnout of some sorts. I guess I have too many damn hobbies and not enough time...

...don't worry though, I'm definitely hitting the crit scene next month and the Crystal Hillclimb. The reality is that I'll probably just train myself into the ground until I have a serious flameout like I did last September after Eugene :)

No comments: