Sunday, December 30, 2007

More cowbell!

Up until yesterday afternoon I hadn't planned to race Kringle Kross, but I figured what the hell. How could I pass up the last cross race of the season? When I showed up to run registration I saw these awesome Moen cowbells hanging up and thought, "Wow! I want one of those!" A few of my teammates told me to win the race and then I'd get one since they were handing them out as prizes. I thought, "Yeah right!"

Well, I didn't win the race but I got my first podium finish in my career! Our Women's 4 field was pretty damn small, but hey, I still got 3rd and snagged me a kick-ass cowbell. The only bummer is that I had no idea I got 3rd so I missed my podium photo op! Oh well. My teammate Landon took a picture of me later in the day, so that's ok.

The race was very flat and very fast and the start was loads of fun. The promoters organized a Le Mans start, so we had run to a tree and around it, then back to our bikes before we could take off. I've gotten a crappy start in every race but this one! I'm a runner baby so I was rockin'! I settled into a good pace and maintained it the whole race. My remounts were definitely a bit rusty but I survived and stayed upright. The big water puddles on the back of the course froze my feet in no time but it was fun.

I think the race attracted about a third of the normal cyclocross crowd. Although it was pretty cold out, the weather couldn't have been better (it was dry!), the course was fun, and the prizes were awesome. It's too bad more people didn't come out since it's likely the only chance we'll have to race at Magnuson. Apparently they're tearing up the fields shortly so that's why we were able to go out there and race.

I might have to put my cowbell next to me when I go to bed tonight. It's the best prize I've ever won!

2 comments:

UltraMick said...

Congrats on your podium! Carry that habit on into 2008. :)

grepgirl said...

Thanks! I have to say though, that our field was really small. So I'll leave the podium kudos to the people who raced in larger fields! The experience was still fun though! :)