Sunday, November 30, 2008

Not sure what did the most damage....

...the 26-mi road ride I did Saturday? The hot yoga session Saturday afternoon after three weeks off? My first ever climbing outing at Vertical World today? Or the Colonnade workout and 3-mi run I clocked at Greenlake tonight?

One thing is for sure: I'm now hooked on a brand new sport. I've always wanted to try climbing but have just never gotten around to it. I accepted an invite from a friend to hit Vertical World today and had a blast. Heights don't really bother me, but I've always had a bit of falling fear, so I honestly didn't think climbing would be my thing. I was wrong. I was so freaked out on my first climb though I could barely hang on to anything. I learned pretty quickly that chalk is your friend!

After a few climbs I figured out how to move around and felt a lot more comfortable. I found the mental challenge to be the best part. There were a few times I got stuck but knew where I needed to go. It's weird how your body knows what it needs to do but your brain is screaming, "No way! You're going to fall!" Every time I went for it I made it, so it's just convincing yourself you can do it. I'm now signed up for the belay class and well on my way to making this a regular thing :)

I think tomorrow is going to suck. I'm already feeling the climbing mostly in my triceps, shoulders, and legs. Or maybe the legs are hurting from Saturday's ride. My core is killing me from yoga, but that could also be from climbing. Ugh.

No comments: