Thursday, September 21, 2006

Cross f***ing rocks!!

I was at Marymoor last night for the first cross practice of the season and it was awesome! Surprisingly enough the rain held off for us. The turnout was huge; there looked to be about 80 people there. Crazy.

I joined a group of about 10-12 newbies coached by Craig and Kristi from CycleU to learn how to mount, dismount, and carry my bike. In the beginning I was like, "You want me to do what?" Kristi and Craig do it so effortlessly. My first few attempts hopping on the bike weren't so graceful but I got better the more I did it. It's also easier as you add some speed. Before long I had no trouble hopping on the bike but getting off was another story. I struggled for a long, long time trying to step off the bike, grab it, and keep running. My first try I nearly biffed it.

Craig put down some barriers for us to hop over and pretty soon I was mounting and dismounting correctly and not killing myself. It was fun to keep going faster and faster and see how close I could get to the barrier without running into it. I think I'll definitely have some bruises today.

It was fun to see the group progressing and giggling like little kids. Everyone had a ton of fun. I think I feel confident enough to try to race this Sunday. What the hell? I might as well just hop in and give it a try.

No comments: