Sunday, September 03, 2006

Eugene Stage Race Day 2: 3 miles of pain

I've said before I'm not a good time-trialist, so there's a lot of things that make me happy about a 3-mi time trial.

#1: It's over quickly.
#2: I can't lose that much time in 3 miles.
#3: Did I say it's over quickly?

As seems to be the case in nearly every race I was the first rider to go again and had no carrot, so I just tried to focus and go hard. The course was slightly uphill to the 1.5-mi turnaround and I actually had to drop into my small chainring to keep up my cadence. What goes up must come down and the 1.5 miles back to the start were fast. I just made sure to keep cranking hard since sometimes you get complacent going downhill.

For the first time ever I didn't get passed by the rider 30 seconds behind me - saweet! I did get passed, but only once from someone a minute back. Monica, the woman I finished with yesterday, was the one 30 seconds behind me so we're still probably pretty close in the GC.

See, you can't lose that much time in 3 miles! I'm still likely in 8th place about 10 minutes or so behind everyone else, but I'm hoping I can put out a good effort in the crit this evening and gain back some time. I'm off to carbo load...

No comments: