Friday, July 13, 2007

Single speed day

About 15 minutes into my morning commute I was completely suprised by a huge thunderstorm. Where was that in the forecast yesterday? I got to work with a nice stripe of mud up my back :)

I had fun on the single speed and I'm really surprised by the versatility of one gear. The hills I thought I'd have a problem with weren't too bad. Seward Park Ave nearly killed me though. Short and steep is do-able with some advanced planning (lots of momentum!) but long hills are definitely hard.

Once I got to work I realized how challenging my commute home would be. Since I live at the top of Leschi there's TONS of way I can get home, but they all involve at least one big climb. I rode my normal route, which is heading up McClellan and then up 31st. That stupid little climb right by the tennis courts off LWB always surprises me. It was rough but I made it. On the single speed I realized how much more aware I am of gradient changes. I've always thought 31st was really steady, but today I noticed it gets steeper as you get to the top. Then there's that last little push up to Jackson that sucks.

If I ride this thing all over the place I'm definitely going to grow some legs. I just need to remind myself to stand more. I tend to climb seated and it's very hard on the knees in such a low cadence. Standing feels fine though. I'm lovin' the new wheels! I've officially christened her "Big Red" :)

No comments: