Wednesday, August 22, 2007

Cross boot camp

I need to get my butt in gear for cross so I dropped in for the CycleU bootcamp on Tuesday. Craig does such a great job and the camp was awesome. The only problem was me! I got my cross bike out of storage in the AM and realized I was missing a seatpost, saddle, and pedals. I forgot I used the seatpost for the spinning bike, which I don't have at the moment. So, I stole my road bike post and saddle and picked up a new pair of SPDs from Center Cycle.

I got to CycleU 25 minutes early and frantically tried to pump up my tires, get my seat adjusted, put the pedals on and generally get my bike running. During our warmup I had to keep readjusting my seat and my handlebars kept sliding down after a short period of time. I've tightened them numerous times and still have this problem so I need to get that fixed. I also couldn't shift into many of my gears so I essentially ended up doing single speed cross all night. Oh well. I'm really considering doing single speed cross this year so I guess it's good practice!

At the end of the session we ran through an actual course and I biffed it in the sand pit, got my shoe stuck on the bike (without my foot in it) and realized way too late that I had completely forgotten how to dismount and nearly face-planted into a barrier. Good times! I definitely need to polish the cross skills before Star Crossed, but it was a great time!

Reminder to myself: loosen my pedal tension and fix those damn handlebars!

No comments: