Tuesday, September 04, 2007

HOT

I flew down to LA to visit my dad and stepmom last Thursday. I said I wanted some sun and that's definitely what I got. My dad lives in the valley area so it was between 108 - 113 the four days I was there.

Friday I ventured over to the pool to get some sun and quickly found out I was the only person willing to sit in the sweltering heat. The locals all thought I was crazy until I said I was from Seattle. Hey, I gotta soak up enough sun to last for a while! An hour in 108-degree weather was about all I could manage.

I rented a mountain bike from a local store Friday afternoon and made the mistake of falling completely in love it. I've never ridden a full suspension bike so I wanted to try one. Since I'm in the market for a new mountain bike I just cost myself extra money with that move. I usually bring my biking stuff but I didn't this time so I had to ride sans-chamois and with toe clips. It took me all of 5 seconds to wipe out with the stupid clips. Note to self: make sure the straps are tight BEFORE you try to bunny hop the bike. I think I added my left shin to my list of "might be permanently scarred" body parts.

Saturday we did a nice 25-mi bike ride from Ventura almost to Ojai. Afterwards I took the bike for a little spin and reconfirmed that I have no business at all riding in sand. I think the bruises are still forming. Sunday we ventured up to the mountains and got to see a cool lightning storm.

Four days of sun, biking, hiking, and margaritas -- good times! I even got to come home with this lovely sunburn stripe on my lower back. I'm glad that I rode 25 miles on the bike with a shirt that was a little too short. Now I have a semi-permanent reminder of why bike jerseys are cut longer in the back.

Once I get home tonight I'll post some pics...for now it's back to the daily grind at work.

No comments: