Sunday, September 30, 2007

Muddy cross racing, cowbells, and hot chocolate...

...what better way to spend a Sunday? The Seattle Cyclocross Series kicked off this morning in Snohomish under perfectly rainy skies. My plan was to leave at 7:15 to get there around 8. That would give me plenty of time before my 9:30 race to register, warmup, and pre-ride the course. The only problem with that plan is that I hit "snooze" and somehow woke up at 7:20. Crap. After loading the car, grabbing the dog, and hitting Starbucks I didn't leave until 7:45. Registration took forever and all of a sudden it was 9:05 when I got changed into my gear.

So, I started the race with absolutely no warmup and only a small glimpse of the course. I was unsure of the course and my technical skills, so I took it way too conservatively the first lap. The second lap I ramped it up, finally got into a good rhythm, and started passing some people. Then my only big incident of the day happened: I lost my shoe to the mud bog.

There was a stretch of the course that was so boggy most people were opting to run it. Halfway through I noticed my left shoe was loose and then all of a sudden there was this loud sucking noise and it was gone. There I was, my bike on my back, trying to fish my shoe out of the mud. Too f*** funny. I wish someone had gotten a picture of that one.

We were supposed to do three laps but I ended up doing two with a handful of other ladies. Yeah, I sucked, but the race was the most fun I've ever had on a bike! It was an awesome day of playing in the mud and I felt like I was 5 years old again. I learned a handful of good lessons today:
  • Michelin Mud tires rock!
  • I need to tighten my shoes.
  • My technical skills must be better than I thought - I stayed upright.
  • I'm investing in rain boots for the rest of cross season.
  • There's not a more fun way I can think of to spend time on my bike!
We had lots of Zokas out there today all having a blast on the course. I added a few pics of my teammates slogging through the mud. I'm bummed that our uniforms won't be brown anymore ... they hide mud quite well!

More pics

No comments: