Tuesday, September 18, 2007

Today was single speed day

I really can't explain it, but there's just something epic about riding a single speed around all day long, especially when you have a hilly commute :) I did the work commute today on the trusty Univega, then cruised downtown for my gym workout at Headquarters.

Riding around downtown on the single speed is definitely more of a pain in the ass. I got yelled at by some biker behind me when I didn't take off fast enough at a green light. Hey, I'm on a hill, and I'm on a f***ing single speed. I don't accelerate as well and it takes me a few seconds to get rolling. I can't say I've ever experienced biker rage before. Weird. Funny thing is, I had to pass the guy because he was too friekin' slow! This is probably the same person that pulls right out in front of you with his car, then proceeds to drive 5mph.

I've always respected bike messengers and fixies out there, but now I have even more admiration for them. By the time I got out of the gym and had to ride up Jackson to Leschi I was done with hills. This better make me a damn good hill climber next year.

I just signed back on with Joe at Headquarters last week. What can I say? I guess I miss totally getting my ass handed to me. I've lost my upper body and can barely get through a second set of push-ups without falling on my face. The machine bench press is killing me and I wrestled with the last rep on the incline bench press for like 5 minutes. I'm going to be hurting tomorrow, but it's great to be back!

Tomorrow I have the CycleU women's cross boot camp. Should be fun! I'm getting ready for my cyclocross debut at StarCrossed this weekend. As if I don't have enough stuff planned, I have to follow it up with an 8-hr urban adventure race on Sunday with some co-workers. We're all signed up for the Seattle Oyster Urban Adventure Race. We'll be doing our own version of "Amazing Race", running around Seattle all day by foot, bicycle, kayak, rollerblades, and maybe even skateboards.

The way this week is going I'm going to need a week off to recover. Thank goodness I'm chillin' to Jimi's Blues right now. "I can hear the blues call my name baby"....

No comments: