Wednesday, October 31, 2007

Burnout

I've been racing cross every Sunday and I love it and will definitely finish the SCC series; however, I'm certainly not racing at 150%. I don't even think I'm close to 70%. Since the series started I've been more than content to do one practice lap for a warmup, start near the back, expend little energy getting going, and pick off a few people as the laps go by. There are certainly times I'm pushing hard but I just haven't felt motivated to really race.

Today I dropped my car off at University VW for service and brought the bike with me so I could ride to work. I figured I'd get an easy 20-mi ride, but once I hit the road all I could think of was finding the next bus stop so I could get off the bike. The fact that I can barely manage to ride the bike 20 miles means one thing: burnout.

I've been skipping the gym, staying off the bike, and generally sitting on the couch eating cookies and drinking beer. The whole time I've been wondering why I'm so tired, unmotivated, and generally in a funk. I looked back at some of my old blog posts and realized that at this exact same time last year I was writing things like, "Hey, what's wrong with me? I don't want to ride. I'm tired. I'm blah. I'm in a funk." Hmm...I think I see a pattern here.

1 comment:

Random Menace said...

That's why I'm not racing cross. Like I said, "It's time for beer and doughnuts!" There's room on the couch if you want to join me.