Sunday, March 02, 2008

Icebreaker TT

I signed up for Icebreaker pretty late in the game and contemplated bailing on it this year, but decided I couldn't live without the fun. My result wasn't what I wanted, but was more or less what I expected. I was the poster child today for what not to do before a bike race. 5 hours sleep? Check. Half a muffin for food? Check. No water for about 12 hours? Check. About 6 hours on the road bike since October? Check. Awesome.

When I took off I felt surprisingly strong all the way to the turnaround, then massively collapsed. The 5 miles back sucked and I just couldn't get my legs to turn over at all. My endurance is for shit right now after taking an entire winter off, but it's what I expected. I crossed the line in 31:36, which is way off last year's time of 29:13.

I'm finally emerging from my winter hibernation and it feels good to get back on the bike again. I'll be riding this week and starting to build base miles and endurance back up. I'm just not in a hurry this year. I'll be doing some road racing and may be at a few early season races, but I'm waiting for later in the year to really get started.

I think I may have spent about 5 minutes all total over the winter in Zone 5, so the 30+ mins today killed me. I'm beat and headed to bed.

No comments: