Wednesday, May 28, 2008

Broken car

A few days ago I befriended a couple from Vancouver, BC who were kind enough to invite me along with them on a trip to Coba. They said they had secured a car and would be happy to take me. They picked me up this morning at the hotel and when they pulled up I couldn't believe how tiny and old this car was. I have no idea what it was, but it wasn't very happy. I assumed they were getting a rental, but this car clearly wasn't and I had some doubts about driving in it.

The car got us about 50 miles or so before dying. Luckily we had just passed through a town and weren't too far into the jungle yet, so we walked back and found a guy named Julio who was eager to drive us back to Playa for a generous offering of Pesos. We even gave him a 6-pack of Coke, which seemed to make his day. I'm not sure what they ended up doing with the car, but they said they would take care of it. Unfortunately I got no pictures, and it's probably a good thing we didn't make it to Coba, because I left my memory card in my laptop last night. I would have been one very pissed off chick, so I guess it all worked out in the long run.

I was seriously bummed about Coba so I hit the beach and after a few Dos Equis decided I would call Expedia and extend my trip another two days. I'm leery of driving solo to Coba, so I booked the Mayan Adventure guided tour for Friday. As part of the tour, I get to rappel 65ft into a cenote, do a z-line crossing over another cenote, kayak across a lagoon, have an authentic Mayan lunch, and then visit Coba. This should be fun!

I did decide to make the drive to Tulum in the morning on my own to beat the crowds, so I took the plunge and rented a car. This car looks a bit more reliable, but it's still barely a shoebox on wheels. Everything seems half normal size. Wish me luck on my hour drive to Tulum, though I've been reassured by many it is a much safer drive than to Coba. Now I'm off for ladies night at Senor Frogs!

2 comments:

Elizabeth said...

lol - you may never come back! Sorry the day didn't go as planned, but I am glad you are having such a good time. The tour you booked sounds right up your alley! Enjoy and keep us posted! :)

Elizabeth said...

ps - I am so glad I didn't have to come up with something "creative" to do! lol