Thursday, May 08, 2008

Here we go again

Today I had my first appointment at Therapeutic Associates. This is my third attempt at alleviating the ITBS I've endured for almost three years. This time for some reason, I feel confident it'll be resolved. I started seeing a new doctor at the UW Med Center who has much more aggressive treatment options. I had an MRI that only showed patellar tendonitis and a very inflammed IT band, so at least nothing else was horribly wrong. He's starting me on a 6-week PT program, and if I don't see improvement, then we'll move on to blood injections and some other things.

The PT today consisted of ASTYM, which was excruciating to say the least. The therapist basically "scraped" my entire right leg with plastic instruments. It is supposed to break up any scar tissue that has formed and encourage healing. It felt very bumpy and gravelly and areas over my IT band were the most painful. I do have some mild bruising tonight and my leg feels like it's been beaten by a 2x4. Good times.

Afterwards I got an ultrasound and a thorough icing. I also have a set of prescribed strengthening and stretching exercises that will aid in healing. The therapy will continue twice a week for the next few weeks. Even though it supposedly gets easier, I'm certainly not looking forward to the next time. I've since read a lot about ASTYM and it seems very productive, so I'm really stoked to see if this finally gets rid of the ITBS. Running again seems like a dream to me!

No comments: