Sunday, November 12, 2006

Back to biking

I woke up early Saturday morning to join the Zoka team ride leaving Exit 9. We were all lucky to have missed the rain and although the ride started out chilly we had suprisingly nice weather. It was great to see several ladies out on the ride!

Last year I struggled to keep up on team rides but this year I'm doing just fine. Unfortunately about 20 or so miles into our 40+ mile ride I had a flat. We were heading up E Lake Sammamish Parkway and suddenly I started dropping way off the pace. We weren't moving that fast so I was rather perplexed. I slid off the back of the pack thinking that I was completely out of shape until I looked down and saw my back tire was pancaked. Nothing like trying to hill climb with a flat tire! I stopped to change the flat and then hooked up with two Zoka riders a little ways back.

We ended up making our own route back to Exit 9 and caught some of the team at the finish. I think we did about 43-45 miles. Riding on the Giant is definitely a workout. It doesn't climb nearly as well or shift as smoothly as the Ruby. I figure if I ride this old heavy aluminum bike all winter I'll be flying when I get back on the Ruby.

No comments: