Monday, November 06, 2006

Emerging from hibernation

Last Thursday I did a time trial performance test at Cycle U and my results were less than stellar. Last year I completed the 5-mi time trial in about 16 minutes, which isn't great but it's not horrible given that I suck at time trialing. This year I was somewhere around 19 minutes!? I told Craig that I swore something was amiss with the computrainer. I felt like I was busting my ass and was barely able to sustain 15-16mph.

Sure, I've been off the bike for a few weeks, but I kept up with some faster people on last week's team ride. There's no way I'm that far off the mark! Craig did mention that the guy in the previous heat complained about the same computrainer, so I really do hope something there was off. What a major downer!

I've been too lazy to get my old road bike set up for rainy weather so I missed the team ride Saturday. No way I'm riding the Ruby in the rain! I finally got the 'ol Giant rolling on Sunday and took a cruise up to Sandpoint and back in the rain. At least it was comfortably mild out! After riding a nice new carbon fiber bike the Giant feels aweful. The shifting is clunky, the gears slip around, it makes tons of noise and it feels like I'm towing a ton of bricks. At least when I get back on the Ruby it'll feel awesome!

I think I'm starting to emerge from my hibernating funk. I felt motivated to ride Sunday for the first time in a long while and I'm getting itchy to get my butt in training for doing the LA marathon next March. Now I just need to get back to the gym and I'll be set.

Marcus and I have decided we really need to get some indoor projects done on the house this winter, so we're going to try to put together a "to-do" list. We'll see how far we go with that. If I can FINALLY get the bathroom floor tile finished and grouted I'll be ecstatic.

No comments: