Thursday, January 11, 2007

Seattle is done...

Having spent a good portion of my life in Indiana, I've seen some serious weather. I've been in three tornadoes, tons of snowstorms, icestorms, thunderstorms, you name it. I don't think any were as entertaining as watching a trace of snow hit Seattle.

I'm convinced there's some secret material that the DOT uses in roads here that instantly turns to ice when even a single snowflake touches it. I swear I never drove in a snowstorm in Indiana that turned the roads into the mess that happens here in Seattle. Icestorms...different story. But snow?

Sure, people panic here and abandon their cars in the middle of the road (which is kinda funny). At least back home they had enough sense to crash them way off the road before leaving them. The hills here make snow traveling sucky but even the flat roads are ridiculously slick. I think Washington state has like two snowplows that are stuck at Snoqualmie Pass or something. I'm not even sure if they've heard of de-icer here either.

I left Renton at 5 today and since my commute is 9 miles between Renton and Seward Park I have it lucky. I was surprised to find Seward Park Ave to be a complete mess with about 1-2" of snow. Cars couldn't make it up the very small hill at Othello and some poor Metro bus was hopelessly stuck...in an inch of snow. I love it!

No comments: