Thursday, June 08, 2006

Looking forward to PR

Tuesday evening I joined up with some co-workers and started with a very leisurely ride up Lake Washington Blvd. Marcus joined us and we eventually headed off on our own. Since I rode hard Monday I wasn't feeling quite as chipper, but Marcus challenged me to a hill climb up Madrona and of course I can't say no. I still can't keep up with him, but I'm definitely not lagging as far behind as I used to - sweet! One of these days he'll be in big trouble.

As is usual, Marcus said "Let's do it again!" Lame as it is, my legs were so tight I had to stop halfway up. I realized that a leg workout at Headquarters was in store for the next morning, so that changed my perspective on how hard I should be riding. I did make it to the top twice, but I know how badly I need to start concentrating on my hill-climbing, especially if I want to do the Washington State Hillclimb. Madrona is definitely on the schedule for next week. Four repeats? We'll see...

We went on up through the arboretum and then came back via Interlaken. That's the first time I've done that route and I loved the extra climbing, but all I could think about was my upcoming leg workout at the gym so I kept it pretty mellow. As we were cruising down MLK I started to feel hungry and realized that I hadn't brought a single thing to eat -- very unlike me. A short time after I got very shaky, very sick, and very nauseated. For the first time ever I had to send Marcus to get the car and rescue me. I didn't eat enough before the ride and the hill climbing just caught up to me. At least I know not to do that again.

Thank goodness for Endurox or else I think I would have really been hurting in the gym yesterday. The workout was hard but I survived. My legs feel pretty good today so I'm itching to put in a good effort at PR tonight. Here's hoping the rain holds off...I can't wait to get out there!

No comments: