Monday, June 12, 2006

Running, crashes and...a haircut.

The weekend update...

Marcus and I went to Tiger on Saturday for some good 'ol fashion trail running. Yes, running! We did the Bus Trail and then Marcus headed for the summit of Tiger 3 while I went down to do the 'Round the Lake trail. Unfortunately my knee isn't quite up to big descents yet so I know better than to try to come down Tiger 3. Right now flats are my thing. I was mostly able to keep up 1-min intervals (1 min run, 1 min walk) for the day but eventually my knee caved. One of these days I'll be back to running shape I hope. Ahhh...I long for those 10-mile days.

Once we got home we hurriedly hopped on the bikes and headed to Ballard to check out the Twilight Criterium. Unfortunately we were too late to watch most of the Zoka guys in the 4/5 race but caught several other races. After watching the Cat 4s get shelled on the first lap of the women's race and last about 8-10 minutes I'm glad I decided to watch rather than race. There were some pretty strong Cat 4 TGH riders that weren't even close to the main pack.

Luckily we missed the major crashes -- I hate seeing those. I was told there were several pretty serious and large crashes. A few Zoka guys had some war wounds and it was corner 3 giving most people trouble. As if the transition to cobblestone wasn't sketchy enough, there was a raised manhole right in the center of the turn for an added bonus.

We left Ballard and rushed home so I could take Marcus to a surprise party in Capital Hill for his birthday. The 'ol man is thirty now -- time for a Porsche 911! We got together with several friends and had a few too many drinks, but it was a grand time.

Needless to say we started Sunday off a little sluggish after running ourselves to death Saturday, staying up late, and having a few too many drinks. By Sunday afternoon we were somewhat recovered and did several hill repeats on Madrona and Leschi. I biked up Madrona three times and much to my surprise it really wasn't that difficult -- sweet! We even threw in a few extra hills for kicks.

The weekend ended with a surprise new haircut. I decided to get a trim on Saturday which resulted in the crappiest haircut known to man. For some reason the stylist thought a mod-version of the mullet would look good on me or something. I didn't realize the extent of the damage until I got home. Those salon mirrors are pure trickery I tell ya. I've been considering chopping off my hair again so let's just say this helped encourage me. I booked an appointment at the 7 Salon downtown on Sunday and the only way the stylist could fix my hair was by removing it. So, instant new style and I dig it! I can't say I'll be visiting my old salon again.

Overall, great weekend!

No comments: