Friday, June 02, 2006

Keeping busy

I headed down to Pacific Raceways last night for the Thursday night Women's series and very nearly didn't make it. There was a horrible accident on SR 18 which made it a bitch to get to the track. I left Renton at 5:30 and barely made it there by 7:00. There were only five of us including Gina, but after spending the time to get there we decided to race anyway. By 7:30 a few more showed up and I think we had about 8-9 riders total.

The track was wet but luckily the rain held off until we were finished. Since we had a small group we all raced together and the Cat 4s pushed the pace a little more than what the beginner group is used to, but we all handled it fine. For once I hung with the pack the entire 35 minutes but I was working pretty hard just to stay on the back. When it came down to the final lap I died on the sprint and I think I was almost last across the line. Oh well. I'm still uncertain about timing. I was catching the two girls ahead of me but just ran out of room. I feel like I should have pushed harder and started sooner and I could have finished two spots higher. Why can't I really dig? In the last race I started earlier but then didn't have the endurance to last and died at the end. I guess it's a fine line and one of these days I'll figure out just how hard and how long I can sprint.

I was pleasantly surprised that my legs didn't seem affected from yesterday's workout. Gina told me to beware what I'm doing in the gym, but my trainer thinks otherwise. I'm not competitive, so at this point ANYTHING I can do to build strength and fitness is a good thing for me. I headed to my second training session at Headquarters this morning and worked out my arms this time.

I started with a treadmill warm up and then Joe's assistant trainer told me, "Ok, you're ready for 300 ab reps...go." I laughed and said, "No really...what should I start with?" Then he said he was serious. I have to alternate between several ab exercises and get 300 reps on my abs every time I'm there. Surprisingly, it goes quickly if I can keep count. I'm going to definitely feel this tomorrow.

After that I did three circuits of exercises for my biceps and triceps, a few of which were really difficult. The assistant trainer helped me with several of the workouts. You know it's bad when you have to do 15 reps and at 5 you're already faltering. Oh yeah, and then you have to do another set.

My arms have felt like they're floating all day. Marcus is going this weekend for a fitness assessment from Joe. Haha...now when he gets his butt kicked he'll know what I went through last weekend.

No comments: