Sunday, December 10, 2006

Swimming practice yesterday

Yesterday the Zoka ride started from the Exit 9 P&R, headed through Newport Hills out to May Valley, Issaquah and back. The CycleU performance test Thursday night wrecked my legs. I was lagging a bit on the team ride and I shouldn't have been. We did the Tiger Mountain climb, which is a first for me. Even though the Giant is heavy, I'm realizing that I'm not as good on long climbs as I'd like to be. Short, steep climbs are cake, but I need to focus on my endurance and get better at the long grinds.

Once we got over Tiger Mtn it started pouring and the rest of the ride was cold, dark, and very wet. There were quite a few testy motorists yesterday. A few people honked at us and some guy even pulled a U-turn on Tiger Mtn to yell at us to get out of the road. Issaquah-Hobart Rd was full of motorists who had PLENTY of room to slide left and give us a few extra inches in the nasty weather but who insisted on getting as close as possible. I never understand that. Give us a break! We planned for a 50+ mile ride continuing around Lake Sammamish but we all decided to cut out the lake loop and just head back through Newport Hills. We clocked about 40 miles, which was just fine for me since my legs were toast.

No comments: