Friday, December 15, 2006

Windstorm afterthoughts

I took the night off from bowling to work on the house and started thinking about some of the funnier aspects of the windstorm. I had driven most of the way to Renton this morning to go to work before finding out that work was closed. It seemed that everyone had flocked to Renton, which was one of the few places with power, in search of two things: gas and coffee.

Yup, in a major crisis Seattle can only think, "Where can I get my coffee?" I figured I'd stop and get a Tully's on my way back home and the line was ridiculous. I swear there were 600 people crammed in the Starbucks across the street. I was listening to KIRO7 this morning on the radio and people were phoning in locations of open Starbucks. Haha! The gas station was even worse! Hundreds of cars were lined up all trying to force their way to the pump.

I have to admit that I was one of the idiots who didn't fill my gas tank Friday before the storm, but I figure there's no where I need to go that I can't get to on bike or on the bus. I can't help but smile a bit when there's a major gas catastrophe. I love anything that causes people to stop driving cars and think about alternate transportation. If you're willing to sit in line for 4 hours to get gas, do you really need to be somewhere that badly?

No comments: